Wednesday 8 December 2010

There's deo in my hair and hairspray everywhere..

Seriously I'm suffocating my family and goldfish with hairspray and deodorant.
And I don't think it's doing any good to my health either since I'm asthmatic and have a check-up in a month..
"So why do you have a thick lining of hairspray and lynx in your lungs?"
"I don't know..."
That's what I'll say but what I'll say to you is that I was experimenting today in prepof the preparation for a re-enactment of the video.
I finally came to the conclusion that print publication would not be a suitable method for promoting a video but instead I'm justifying that a video published on Youtube is a publication...it is published!
I was also contemplating on a half video-half live performance piece as if I'm willing to re-enact it live (with thanks to C.J. and Ness for encouraging 'the tortured artist'), that shows my passion and admiration I have for the video and the Lady herself.
But as I started preparing the video I realised that a performance AND a video may be too confusing as to where to look and the video itself was coming together quite nicely.  Luckily I found the audio (maybe not legally...) from the concert so I could play around with it in the video.
The premisis of this video is to show the process of getting the video from the record company. Much to my disappointment I failed when I got back to the product manager. She said that Polydor don't have the video (or something like that) and if they did they wouldn't be allowed to distribute it anyway to anyone. Which I think, fair enough. But she did wish me good luck with my project, and although I felt like 'fuck you, bitch' at the time as I couldn't get what I want which wasn't really her fault, she's on my Christmas card list for a thank you for actually taking some interest in my project.
So I wrote down the dialogue I had with everyone on the phone up to this point and thought that it'd be a very effective alternative to the 'countdown numbers' which flash rapidly on-screen. The effect of this creates a disorientation and confusion and anticipation as to what will happen, similar to how I felt when watching it for the first time.
This dialogue flashes up on the screen and speeds up until the point when in the original video Gaga jumps down with the words 'FUCK IT I'LL MAKE MY OWN'. And this is what I did. If I don't get what I want, I'll find a way of getting it! And I did! It's just it's my version of it.
Wanna see the first draft of it?

LINK

Also I guess I used static images predominantly in this film as that was what I was working with up to this point (as you can see from the previous animations). Putting the research and ideas leading up to a final result literrally as a final result is an interesting one: I guess you never really see the initial ideas in the final piece much, so I'm putting them forward first.
The first images are just of me experimenting with the 5 photos at a time effect on my webcam and they do work well as they are very dramatic, nearing on spasticated, shots. The next set is me imitating the slap. As I have no way of getting a slo-mo camera (I asked a company how much it'd be per day and they said £1000...that's not in my budget!). So I just imitated the current style of 5 photos at a time, although I feel that part needs to be cleaned up a bit.
The dialogue will be a recurring feature of the video - similar to the numbers in the original. But the inversed version of the text adds to the confusion of the video (it's also another experiment I liked).

This is the next bit of the video:
LINK
It's not quite ready yet, but it's to mimic the hairspraying section of the video. This is a proper video recording now as the static shots sometimes don't quite cut it at recording the sweeps of my hair, so I tried with video and it comes out better!
I'm currently editing this bit and will probably have the whole video ready and uploaded by tonight.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I really really really like the first link with the phone conversations!

    ReplyDelete